MSc in Cyber Security
We want to recruit students with intellectual curiosity who want to develop their skills in analysing the security vulnerabilities of systems and designing secure systems. To join this programme, you should:
- enjoy thinking about systems the way an attacker would;
- be capable of logical thinking, to design systems that avoid security flaws;
- enjoy programming (preferably in object-oriented languages);
- be capable of working hard on difficult projects;
- be willing and able to contribute to group work;
- have the ability to set your own goals and manage your time;
- be self-critical and to evaluate your own performance fairly;
- have good communication skills, able to explain your ideas in presentations and in writing.
If you have these attributes and can satisfy the formal admissions requirements, then you are well-suited to the MSc in Computer Security.
You must have one of the following:
- At least an Upper Second class degree in one of the computing disciplines from a United Kingdom university, or the equivalent from overseas. If your degree has a GPA score, we consider applicants with a GPA of 3.5/4.0.
- At least an Upper Second class degree in a subject other than computing from a United Kingdom university, or the equivalent from overseas, if your degree has a GPA score, we consider applicants with a GPA of 3.5/4.0 PLUS extensive work experience within the computing industry.
The entrants must have a solid foundation in programming and knowledge of data structures and algorithms. In particular, knowledge of object-oriented programming will be a strong asset.
For international equivalents of our entry requirements and other country-specific information, please see these pages at the University's International Office.
English language requirements
If you have recently studied for a degree at an English speaking university (eg in the United Kingdom, USA, etc), you do not need a separate English language qualification. Otherwise, you need to provide an English qualification.
We accept a number of qualifications and our minimum requirements are:
- TOEFL (Internet-based Test)
A minimum of 82 with no less than 19 in Reading, 19 in Listening, 21 in Speaking, 19 in Writing
A minimum of 6.0 with no score below 5.5 in any section of the IELTS test
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
PTE Academic 51 in all four skills
- GCE O Level English Language
- GCSE English Language
- IGCSE English (First Language)
- IGCSE English (Second Language)
- UCLES Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English
- UCLES University Certificate in Advanced English
Please click here for a list of additional accepted English language qualifications.
We do not allow students to start the programme without an English language qualification. You need to be able to communicate effectively in English from the first day of the programme.