Module 18186 (2011)
Syllabus page 2011/2012
Design & Media Team
The Module Description is a strict subset of this Syllabus Page. (The University module description has not yet been checked against the School's.)
Changes and updates
This module is not offered in 2011/2012
This module introduces students to analysis and design, particularly human computer interaction design, through the construction of a small system which appropriately employs a range of media. It also offers an introduction to the importance of project management and team working in software construction, and of effective communication in reports and presentations.
The aims of this module are to:
- explore non-programming aspects of software construction
- introduce students to analysis and design, particularly human computer interaction design
- introduce students to the effective use of a range of media in software systems
- introduce the key aspects of good project management
- provide experience of working in a team
- provide experience of preparing presentations and reports
|On successful completion of this module, the student should be able to:||Assessed by:|
|1||analyse requirements, design, implement and document a small software system which employs a range of media||Continuous assessment|
|2||identify and use appropriate tools for building such a software system||Continuous assessment|
|3||explain and apply the principles of good human computer interaction design||Continuous assessment|
|4||apply the key elements of good project management||Continuous assessment|
|5||work effectively in a team||Continuous assessment|
|6||communicate effectively in written reports and oral presentations||Continuous assessment|
- Sessional: Continuous assessment (100%).
- Supplementary (where allowed): Students who fail but have met the team working requirement will be permitted to resit by additional work; otherwise reassessment is by repeating.
- The normal continuous assessment is based on a combination of a multi-media product, a presentation, and a report.
|Design for New Media||Lon Barfield||Pearson/Addison Wesley, 2004|
|Team Roles at Work||Meredith Belbin||Butterworth-Heinemann, 2003|
|Essential Communication Strategies: For Scientists, Engineers and Technology Professionals||Herbert Hirsch||Wiley, 2003|
|Digital Multimedia (2nd Edn)||Nigel Chapman and Jenny Chapman||Wiley, 2004|
|Digital Media Tools (2nd Edn)||Nigel Chapman and Jenny Chapman||Wiley, 2003|
|Web Design||Nigel Chapman and Jenny Chapman||Wiley, 2006|
- various media, their roles and pros/cons
- what is design?
- introduction to simple media tools (e.g. Yahoo pipes, Flash, HTML)
- designing with media
- interaction and design
- project management
- team working
- written and oral presentation skills
Last updated: 9 Sep 2009
Source file: /internal/modules/COMSCI/2011/xml/18186.xml