Module 02386 (2012)
Syllabus page 2012/2013
The Module Description is a strict subset of this Syllabus Page. (The University module description has not yet been checked against the School's.)
The final year project enables the student to demonstrate competence as a computing professional and to apply material learned in other components of the degree programme. Projects are chosen from staff suggestions or are developed from the student's original idea. The project normally includes writing a substantial piece of software or developing some hardware. Occasionally it can consist of conducting research other than by writing software.
The aims of this module are to:
- allow students to carry out a substantial task of their own choosing, in the area of Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, or Software Engineering
- allow the students to demonstrate their competence as computing professionals, and to apply what they have learnt in the other components of their degree programme
- facilitate independent work on a substantial individual project, including prioritisation of different components of the project, as well as prioritising the project as a whole against other work
|On successful completion of this module, the student should be able to:||Assessed by:|
|1||carry out a substantial software or hardware development task, or a substantial piece of research in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence or Software Engineering||Demonstration/presentation, project report|
|2||work independently and prioritise different components of the work; manage a large project effectively||Demonstration/presentation, project report|
|3||take decisions and justify them convincingly||Demonstration/presentation, project report|
|4||orally present work undertaken, and answer questions about it convincingly||Demonstration/Presentation|
|5||write a formal report, detailing work undertaken and conclusions reached||Project report|
By arrangement with supervisor. Student work, supporting tutorials.
- Sessional: Demonstration/presentation and final report.
- Supplementary (where allowed): None; the module may only be repeated.
Last updated: 15 Oct 2003
Source file: /internal/modules/COMSCI/2012/xml/02386.xml