Module 06-07954 (2017)
Second semester mini-project
|Christophe Petit||Semester 2||30 credits|
Each student undertakes a piece of research work that can be seen as a preparation for a possible final summer project under the supervision of a research-active member of academic staff. Supervision and the written report should address the development of skills in defining aims, objectives and plans; project and time management skills; systematic literature searching and written and verbal communication skills. There is no requirement for a mini-project to include development of a program. Projects are either negotiated from a list of academic staff's interests or are developed from a student's original idea.
The aims of this module are to:
- allow the student to deepen their knowledge of an area of computing through individual, supervised study
- learn and develop research skills appropriate to their chosen area of computing
On successful completion of this module, the student should be able to:
- define aims and objectives for a research project and propose feasible working plans to accomplish the work
- manage their project and their time
- search the literature of their topic in a systematic fashion
- demonstrate good written and verbal communication
Students enrolled in MSc Advanced Computer Science shall be aware that given that this module is offered to their cohort on an optional basis, only particularly strong students who want to pursue a career in research will be admitted.
This module is available to students in the School of Computing Science only by prior arrangement with an Academic Supervisor and the Module Coordinator.
MSc Robotics: Students enrolled on the MSc Robotics programme are not required to complete Research Skills as a co-requisite. Intelligent Robotics (Extended) provides students with the required research knowledge and skills to complete the Mini Project.
- 06-06991 - Research Skills
Student work, supporting supervisions
Contact Hours: Variable
Sessional: continuous assessment (report) (100%).
Supplementary (where allowed): None; the module can only be repeated.