Module 06-29637 (2019)
Network Security (Extended)
|Ian Batten||Semester 2||10 credits|
The module introduces the threats and attacks which may be perpetrated on computer networks, and some of the mechanisms designed to address them. Some technology case studies are presented and evaluated.
The aims of this module are to:
- introduce the basic terminology, concepts, and mechanisms of network security
- explain network threats, vulnerabilities, and attacks
- present security algorithms and protocols as countermeasures
On successful completion of this module, the student should be able to:
- explain network vulnerabilities and attacks
- explain and evaluate security mechanisms designed to address such attacks
- design networking security solutions appropriate for a given application and situation
- Demonstrate knowledge of the construction of programmes which exhibit the properties discussed in Learning Outcomes 1-3.
Students will need each of the following: (a) Networks (06-26951) or equivalent knowledge; (b) Operating Systems (Extended) (06-26952), or Computer Systems & Architecture (06-19340), or equivalent knowledge (c) C/C++ (06-26266), or equivalent knowledge
May not be taken by students who have already completed or are currently registered for LH non-extended version
2hr/week lectures, 1hr/week tutorials and lab sessions
Sessional: 1.5 hr examination (80%), continuous assessment (20%).
Supplementary (where allowed): 1.5 hr examination (100%).
- Network protocols, vulnerabilities and threats
- OS security and logging
- Intrusion Detection and Intrusion Prevention Systems
- Firewalls, Address Translation and the Internet of Things
- VPNs, encryption and IPSec
- Management, policy and testing
Programmes containing this module
- MEng Computer Science/Software Engineering 
- MEng Computer Science/Software Engineering with an Industrial Year 
- MSc Advanced Computer Science 
- MSc Cyber Security [504B]
- MSc Human-Computer Interaction 
- MSci Computer Science 
- MSci Computer Science with an Industrial Year 
- MSci Computer Science with Study Abroad