Module 06-31663 (2019)
Concepts of Computer Science
|Martin Escardo Leandro Minku||Semester 1||20 credits|
This module will introduce students without a background in Computer Science to the subject’s core concepts. The central concepts of algorithm and data structure will be introduced, and the importance of generalisation and abstraction discussed. The implementation of these concepts will be introduced using imperative and object-oriented programming techniques in the Java Programming language. The relationship between the computer’s hardware and software will be discussed: how programmes and data are represented, and how programmes are executed.
On successful completion of this module, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate a practical understanding of basic computer programming techniques
- Explain and apply the fundamental constructs of imperative and object-oriented programming
- Explain, apply, and implement simple data structures and algorithms
- Explain the importance of abstract models of computation and data
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between a computer’s hardware and software, and be able to explain how data is represented in and programmes are executed by the computer
In year one students are required to select Widening Horizons Modules to a total of 20 credits. Students who do not hold an A-Level in Computing at Grade A will be required to take this module.
- 06-30183 - Programming in Java
Provided via lectures, turorials and guided independent study.
Contact hours: Total: 200 hours, Lectures: 33 hours, Tutorials: 11 hours, Guided independent study: 156 hours.
Sessional: 2hr Examination (80%), Written and programming exercises (20%)
Supplementary: 2hr Examination (100%)
Programmes containing this module
- BSc Artificial Intelligence & Computer Science 
- BSc Artificial Intelligence & Computer Science with an Industrial Year 
- BSc Artificial Intelligence & Computer Science with Study Abroad [452B]
- BSc Computer Science 
- BSc Computer Science with an Industrial Year 
- BSc Computer Science with Study Abroad 
- MEng Computer Science/Software Engineering 
- MEng Computer Science/Software Engineering with an Industrial Year 
- MSci Computer Science 
- MSci Computer Science with an Industrial Year 
- MSci Computer Science with Study Abroad