Research Students Handbook
This handbook provides the key information for research students studying for postgraduate research (PGR) degrees - PhD, MRes, MPhil, MSc by Research - in the School of Computer Science at the University of Birmingham.
It also contains separate information for supervisors and examiners (and other roles).
- Induction - basic information for when you arrive: keys, offices, settling in
- School Resources - computers, photocopies, meeting rooms, etc.
- Getting involved with the school - cookie breaks, social events, seminars, SRSCC
- Attendance & Absences - holidays, authorised absence, leaves of absence
- Monitoring & RSMG - monthly supervision records (GRS2), thesis groups, RSMG
- Skills Development - training, resources, development needs analysis (DNA/GRS1A)
- Teaching & Demonstrating
- Writing Up
- Submitting your Thesis
- Research Conduct
- Problems impeding your research
- Useful Links
You may also want to look at the research students FAQ wiki
For research students, the key members of staff in the School are as follows:
the Research Students Tutor, Steve Vickers, is the main person with responsibility for overseeing research students, and also chairs the Research Student Monitoring Group (RSMG), which is the School's progress panel for research students. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a meeting or, during term time, drop in during his office hours (room 215, times here).
the Research Students Administrator, Sarah Brookes, deals with administrative matters for research students. She is located in the main School reception, room UG44.
the International Students Tutor, Hamid Dehghani, can help with issues specific to international students.