Research Students Handbook
This handbook provides the key information for research students (typically PhD or MRes students) for undertaking postgraduate research in the School of Computer Science at the University of Birmingham.
- Induction - basic information for when you arrive: keys, offices, settling in
- School Resources - computers, photocopies, meeting rooms, etc.
- Getting involved with the school - cookie breaks, social events, seminars, SRSCC
- Attendance & Absences - holidays, authorised absence, leaves of absence
- Monitoring & RSMG - monthly supervision records (GRS2), thesis groups, RSMG
- Skills Development - training, resources, development needs analysis (DNA/GRS1A)
- Teaching & Demonstrating
- Writing Up
- Submitting your Thesis
- Research Conduct
- Useful Links
You may also want to look at the research students FAQ wiki
For research students, the key members of staff in the School are as follows:
the Research Students Tutor, Dave Parker, is the main person with responsibility for overseeing research students, and also chairs the Research Student Monitoring Group (RSMG), which is the School's progress panel for research students. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a meeting or, during term time, drop in during his office hours (room 107, times here).
the Research Students Administrator, Sarah Brookes, deals with administrative matters for research students. She is located in the main School reception, room UG44.
the Senior Welfare Officer, Ian Kenny, can advise on a range of welfare issues.
the International Students Tutor, Hamid Dehghani, can help with issues specific to international students.