Current Research Fellows, Students and Visitors
Current Research Fellows
Current PhD Students
- Renzhi Chen
- Pietro Consoli
- Xiaofen Lu
- Liyan Song
External supervisor of
- Bingdong Li, University of Science and Technology of China
- Juan Wang, University of Science and Technology of China
- Mang Wang, University of Science and Technology of China (visiting
Former Research Fellows
Former PhD Students
- Andrea Arcuri (completed in 2009)
- Derek Bartram (co-supervision with Dr. Michael Burrow, RRUK)
- Jason Bobbin (co-supervisor) (completed in 2002)
- Arjun Chandra (completed in 2011)
- Huanhuan Chen (completed in 2008).
- Pin Chen (Advisor) (completed in 1996)
- Tianshi Chen, University of Science and Technology of China
(completed in 2010)
- Siang Yew Chong (completed in
(Siang Yew's PhD thesis on "Generalization
and Diversity in Co-evolutionary Learning" is available for downloading.)
- Paul Darwen (completed in 1996)
- Weishan Dong (completed in 2009)
- Haobo Fu (completed in 2014)
- Simon Hammond (completed in 2007)
- Rachel Harris (completed in 2008)
- Tang Ke,
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (external co-supervisor, completed
- Ben Jones (completed in 2009)
- Matthew Kent (completed in 2015)
- Vineet Khare (completed in 2006)
- Ko-Hsin Liang
(completed in 2000)
- Peter Lewis (completed in 2010)
- Guangming Lin (completed in 2003)
- Minglong Lin (completed in 2012)
- Yong Liu (completed in 1999)
- Guanzhou Lu (completed in 2013)
- Qiang Lu (completed in 2004)
- Andrea Mambrini (completed in 2015)
- Yi Mei, University of Science and Technology of China (completed in 2010)
- Leandro Lei Minku (completed in 2010)
- Alireza Nazemi (co-supervision with Prof. Andrew Chan, Civil Engineering)
(completed in 2008)
- Trung Thanh Nguyen (completed in 2011)
- Pietro Oliveto (completed in 2009)
- Fei Peng, University of Science and Technology of China (completed in
- Thomas Runarsson (co-supervisor)
- Kata Praditwong (completed in 2008)
- Carlo Raquel (withdrawn)
- Kate Reed (MRes in Natural Computation, completed in 2012)
- Edward Robinson (completed in 2011)
- Neale Samways (withdrawn)
- Rodrigo Soares (completed in 2013)
- Ping Sun (completed in 2007)
- Jiang Tian from the Glasgow Caledonian
University, UK (External co-supervisor, completed in 2005)
- Rui Wang, University of Science and Technology of China (completed in
- Pu Wang, University of Science and Technology of China (completed in 2013)
- Shuo Wang (completed in 2011)
- Zai Wang, University of Science and Technology of China (completed in
- Peter Whigham (co-supervisor)
- John Woodward (completed in
- Bao-Lin Wu (co-supervisor)
(completed in 2001)
- Xiaoxing Yang, University of Science and Technology of China (completed in
- Zhengyu Yang,
University of Science and Technology of China (completed in 2010)
- Xin Yu, University of Science and Technology of China
(completed in 2011)
I'm also a thesis group member of the following PhD students:
- Khulood Alyahya
- James Bradbury
- Weiqi Chen
- Guanbo Jia
- Nishan Kamaleson
- Vladislav Kramarev
- Wen-Chi Yang
- Sarah Al-Azzani
- Faisal Alrebeish
- Stevan J Anastasoff
- Jakramate Bootkrajang
- Gavin Brown
- Tao Chen
- Funmilade Faniyi
- Robert Goldsmith
- Adrian Hartley
- Marcos Ivan Quintana Hernandez
- Ming Jiang
- Tim Kovacs
- Victor M. Landassuri-Moreno
- Zhenyu Liu
- Jason Cheah Moey
- Abel Garcia Najera
- Vivek Nallur
- James Neil
- Stuart Reynolds
- Mark Roberts
- Mark Rowan
- Zeyn A Saigol
- Tebogo Seipone
- Christopher Staite
- Jane Li Zhang
- Hang Zhang
- Claudio Zito
Long-Term Academic Visitors
- Prof. Guofu Zhang, School of Computer and Information Sciences, Hefei
University of Technology, Hefei, China. (09/09/2015 - 8/9/2016)
- Dr. Siang Yew Chong, School of Computer Science, The University of
Nottingham Malaysia Campus, Jalan Broga, 43500 Semenyih, Selangor Darul Ehsan,
Malaysia. (1-31 July 2009)
- Matteo De Felice, ENEA (Italian National Agency for New
Technologies, Energy and the Environment), Rome, Italy.
(16 June - 15 September 2009).
- Zhenyu Yang, Nature Inspired Computation and Applications Laboratory
(NICAL), Department of Computer Science and Technology, University of
Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui 230027, China. (8/10/2008 -
- Mr Weishan Dong, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences,
Beijing, China. (2/9/2008 - 31/3/2009)
- Mr Yang Yu, Department of Computer Science, Nanjing University, China.
(1/9/2008 - 28/2/2009)
- Dr. Tapabrata Ray, School of Aerospace, Civil and Mechanical Engineering,
University of New South Wales, Australian Defence Force Academy, Canberra,
ACT 2600, Australia. (15/8/2008 - 15/2/2009)
- Dr. Hisashi Handa, Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology,
Okayama University, Japan. (15/7 - 7/10/2008)
- Dr. Xiaodong Li, School of Computer Science and Information Technology,
RMIT University, GPO Box 2476v, Melbourne, 3001, Victoria, Australia. (14/7 -
- Mr. Juan Peralta Donate, Universidad Carlos III,
Avenida De la Universidad 30, Legan\'es 28911, Madrid, Spain. (14/7-14/9/2008)
- Dr. Yi-Yuan Chiang, Department of Computer Science
and Information Engineering, Vanung University, No.1, Vanung Rd, Chungli,
Taoyuan, Taiwan 320. (10/7-30/8/2008)
- Professor Tianshi Liu, School of Computer Science, Xi'an Shiyou
University, Dian Zi 2nd Road 18, Xi'an, Shaanxi 710065, P. R. China.
- Professor Shuang Cong, Department of Automation, University of Science
and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui 230027, P. R. China. (10/1/2008-9/4/2008)
- Mr Li-Ning Xing, College of Information System and Management, National
University of Defense Technology, Changsha, Hunan 410073, P.R. China.
- Miss Jiali Yun, School of Computer Science
and Information Technology, Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing 100044,
P.R. China. (18/11/2007-17/11/2008)
- Miss Yang Li, Department of Computer Science and Technology, University
of Science and Technology of Beijing, Beijing 100083, P. R. China.
- Professor Naiqian Li, Department of Computer
Science and Technology, Baoji University of Arts and Science,
No. 44, Baoguang Road, Weibing District, Baoji, Shaanxi 721007, P. R. China.
- Dr. Cara MacNish, School of Computer Science & Software Engineering,
The University of Western Australia, M002, 35 Stirling Highway,
Crawley, Western Australia, 6009, Australia. (3/9-30/11/2007)
- Professor Dunwei Gong, School of Information and Electrical
Engineering, China University of Mining and Technology, XuZhou, Jiangsu 221008,
- Ingo Paenke, Institut fur Angewandte Informatik und Formale
Beschreibungsverfahren - AIFB Universitat Karlsruhe,
D-76128 Karlsruhe, Germany. (5/2-30/3/2007)
- Professor Chengjian Wei, College of Information Science and Engineering,
Nanjing University of Technology, Nanjing 210009, JiangSu Province,
P.R. China. (August 2006 - August 2007)
- Dr. Hirotaka Inoue, Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Information
Science, Kure National College of Technology,
2-2-11 Agaminami, Kure-shi, Hiroshima 737-8506, Japan. (March 29, 2006 -
March 14, 2007)
- Dr. Xinqi Wang, College of Computer Science,
Hangzhou Dianzi University (HDU),
Xiasha, Hangzhou 310018, P. R. China. (Sept. 2005 - Sept 2006)
- Dr. Dan Lin, Department of Mathematics, School of Sciences,
Tianjin University, Tianjin 300072, P. R. China.
(August 2005 - August 2006)
- Dr. Zhaoxia Wang, School of Electrical Engineering and Automation,
Tianjin University, Tianjin 300072, P. R. China.
(August - December 2005)
- Dr. Carsten Witt, Informatik 2, Universitat Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund,
Germany (1 - 31 October 2005).
- Professor Jinping Li, School of Information Sciences and Engineering,
(February - August 2005)
- Dr. Maolin Tang, Queensland
University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia (26 January - 31 March 2005).
- Dr Hisashi
Handa, Okayama University, Japan (13 December 2004 - 15 September 2005).
- Professor Zhengyu
Zhu, Chongqing University, China (September 2004 - September 2005).
- Dr. Yong Liu,
University of Aizu, Japan (August 2003 - March 2004)
- Prof. Nader Nariman Zadeh,
Dean of Engineering Faculty, The University of
Guilan, Iran. (Sept 2003 - March 2004)
- Dr. Ong Yew Soon,
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Shisanu Tongchim (Thailand) spent six months here in 2002/03.
- Dr. Shengxiang Yang spent
part of his sabbatical leave with me in 2003.
- Dr. Yoshiyuki Matsumura
(six months from 16 October 2002)
- Dr. Subin Wang (12 months from 22 April 2002)
- Wenxue Wang (12 months from 2 February 2002)
- Prof. Kalyanmoy Deb (2-15 December 2001 and 27 May - 28 June 2002)
- Dr. Paul Darwen (26 July - 11 August 2000)
- Dr. Jun He (8 July 2000 -- 7 September 2000)
- Prof. Nabil M. Hewahi (8-30 April 2000)
- Prof. Chang-Yong Lee (10 January - 9 February 2001)
- Prof. Qiangping Qu (6-31 August 2001)
- Prof. Thomas Runarsson (23 August - 20 September 2002)
- Prof. Jitang Wang (12 months from 17 July 2001)
- Prof. Qiang Zhao (six months from 10 July 2002)
- Dr. Frank Neumann, Max-Planck-Institut f\"ur Informatik,
Department 1: Algorithms and Complexity, Building 46.1, Room 317,
Stuhlsatzenhausweg 85, 66123 Saarbr\"ucken, Germany. (20-24/10/2008)
- Dr. Naoyuki Kubota (Tokyo Metropolitan University, Japan) and Dr. Honghai
Liu (University of Portsmouth, UK). 2 August 2007.
- Dr. Tomoharu Nakashima from the Osaka Prefecture University, Japan.
27 July 2007.
- Prof. John Fulcher, School of Information Technology and Computer Science,
University of Wollongong, Northfields Ave, Wollongong, NSW 2522,
Australia. 20 July 2007.
- Prof. Bob Mckay, School of Computer Science and Engineering, Seoul
National University, San 56-1 Sillim-dong, Gwanak-gu, Seoul, South Korea
151-744. 2-6 July 2007.
- Prof. Darrell Whitley, Department of Computer Science, Colorado State
University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA. 2-6 July 2007.
- Prof. De-Shuang Huang, Institute of Intelligent Machines, Chinese Academy
of Sciences, Hefei, Anhui, China. 3-9 July 2006.
- Prof. Shigeyoshi
Tsutsu from Hannan University, Japan, and Prof. Isao Hayashi
from Kansai University, Japan, 13 December 2004.
- Dr. Lipo Wang, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. 4-15/8/2003.
- Prof. Andre Ponce de Leon F.
de Carvalho, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Carlos, SP, Brazil, 27-30/7/2003.
- Dr. Guo-Jian Cheng, DaimlerChrysler AG, Germany. 8-31/3/2003.
- Prof. George Milne, Universiy of Western Australia, 2002
- Dr. Jennifer Hallinan, University of Queensland, 2002
- Prof. Janet Wiles, University of Queensland, 2001
- Prof. Ah Chung Tsoi, University of Wollongong, 2000