Entry Requirements to our PhD Programme
We are looking for students with intellectual curiosity who want to discover more about topics in computing that fascinate them. To join us, you should:
- have excellent analytical skills, to be able to understand problems and propose solutions;
- be capable of working hard on difficult projects;
- have the ability to set your own goals and manage your time;
- be self-critical and be able to evaluate your own performance fairly;
- have good communication skills and be able to explain your ideas in meetings with your supervisor and in writing.
If you have all these attributes, then we encourage you to apply to study with us.
First degree requirements
- 2:1 Hons Undergraduate degree and/or Postgraduate degree with Distinction (or international equivalent)
- In most cases, we expect a degree in Computer Science. For some research topics, a degree in Mathematics or Physics can be a good qualification
- You can apply before you have passed your first degree. If we offer you a place, it will be a conditional offer until your degree result is known
- English language qualification (if required)
How to Apply
Applications for the Computer Science PhD programme are made directly to the University of Birmingham. For full details on how to apply and what supporting documents are required, please click here.
If you are applying to us from outside the UK you can acess information about the experiences of fellow students, studying in a different country and check degree comparability here. You may also need to provide evidence of English language proficiency, but can find out further information here.
Talk to Us
- Join us on Facebook and chat to current students/alumni about life and study at Birmingham