Module 06-18519 (2010)
Communication Skills & Professional Issues
|Nick Blundell||Semester 2||10 credits|
Co-ordinator: Nick Blundell
Reviewer: Nicholas Hawes
The Module Description is a strict subset of this Syllabus Page.
The aims of this module are to:
- encourage consideration of ethical, social, legal and professional issues in computing
- improve students' report writing skills
On successful completion of this module, the student should be able to:
- identify and describe ethical, social, legal and professional issues in computing
- discuss these issues in a balanced and lucid way
- make good presentations of views in a formal report format
Formal lecture-format presentations by module staff and visiting lecturers, group work.
- Sessional: Continuous assessment (100%).
- Supplementary: Repeat only.
- Communication Skills
- Presentation skills
- Written skills, including reports, documentation, manuals; press release, CV, web; code and commenting, lab notebooks
- Interaction skills, including requirements elicitation, iterative development, teamwork
- Professional Issues
- Social aspects/impacts
- Legal framework
- Ethical aspects
- Professional behaviour, duties & responsibilities
Programmes containing this module
- BEng Computer Science/Software Engineering 
- BSc Artificial Intelligence & Computer Science 
- BSc Computer Science 
- BSc Computer Science with Business Management 
- BSc Computer Science with Study Abroad 
- MEng Computer Science/Software Engineering 
- MSc Computer Science