Module 06-26586 (2014)
Project Masters M40
Level 4/M U
|Ela Claridge||Semester 1||10 credits|
|Ela Claridge||Semester 2||30 credits|
The final year project enables the student to demonstrate competence as a computing professional and to apply material learnt in other components of the degree programme. Projects are chosen from staff suggestions or are developed from the student's original idea. The project is an opportunity for the student to demonstrate problem solving skills. It must include a substantial piece of scientific or engineering work.
The aims of this module are to:
- Allow students to carry out a substantial problem solving task of their own choosing, in any area of Computer Science including Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, Software Engineering, Theory, Human-Computer Interaction, Mobile, Security, or Natural Computation
- Allow students to demonstrate their ability in one or more of the following skills: programming, software or hardware development, mathematical proof, empirical investigation, or some other scientific or engineering method, as applied to Computer Science.
- Allow students to demonstrate their competence as computing professionals, and to apply what they have learnt in the other components of their degree programme.
- Facilitate independent work on a substantial individual project, including prioritisation of different components of the project, as well as prioritising the project as a whole against other work.
On successful completion of this module, the student should be able to:
- Carry out a substantial computer science problem solving task.
- Work independently and prioritise different components of the work; manage a large project effectively.
- Take decisions and justify them convincingly.
- Orally present work undertaken, and answer questions about it convincingly.
- Write a formal report, detailing work undertaken and conclusions reached.
Lectures and Tutorials
Contact Hours: 17
Sessional: Continuous Assessment (100%)
Supplementary (where allowed): Reassessment: where allowed, by repeat only.