Module 06-27113 (2015)
Software Engineering 1 (Extended)
|Giorgio Orsi||Semester 2||10 credits|
Overview of requirements engineering, requirements elicitation, analysis, requirements definition, specification, requirements validation, requirements management, overview of specification techniques. Management of the software development process, including: how projects arise, choosing the right project, human factors in project management, basic project management techniques (e.g. planning, estimating, monitoring progress), advanced project management techniques (e.g. risk management, configuration management, quality management, process improvement).
The aims of this module are to:
- show the need for professional discipline and effective management throughout the software development process
- show the importance of teamwork and good interpersonal skills in successful software development
- give an appreciation of the importance of requirements engineering as the first phase of the software development process
On successful completion of this module, the student should be able to:
- Explain the importance of successful requirements definition in commercial software development, identifying the difficulties involved.
- Explain and apply appropriate techniques which help to define clear and unambiguous requirements.
- Explain the basic principles of project management, including the role of the project manager.
- Apply standard techniques in project management.
- Analyse the organizational issues surrounding the development and implementation of systems solutions.
- Identify appropriate interpersonal skills to manage and perform the systems development process more effectively.
- Review academic literature on a software engineering topic and reflect on the application of the principles and theories identified in an example software engineering project/case study.
- 06-27114 - Software Engineering 2 (Extended)
Lectures and Exercise Classes
Sessional: 1.5 hr Examination (50%) Continuous Assessment (50%)
Supplementary (where allowed): 1.5 hr Examination (100%)
- Software Engineering Principles
- Software Development Processes
- Feasibility Study
- Requirements Engineering
- Managing Risk
- Managing People
- Agile Development and Management
Programmes containing this module
- MSc Computer Science