Module 06-26581 (2016)
Computer Science Project
|Russell Beale||Semester 2||40 credits|
The final year project enables the student to demonstrate competence as a computing professional and to apply material learned in other components of the degree programme. Projects are chosen from staff suggestions or are developed from the student's original idea. The project normally includes writing a substantial piece of software or developing some hardware. Occasionally, it can consist of conducting research other than by writing software.
The aims of this module are to:
- Allow students to carry out a substantial problem solving task of their own choosing, in any area of Computer Science including Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, Software Engineering, Theory, Human-Computer Interaction, Mobile, Security, or Natural Computation.
- Allow the students to demonstrate their competence as computing professionals, and to apply what they have learnt in the other components of their degree programme
- Facilitate independent work on a substantial individual project, including prioritisation of different components of the project, as well as prioritising the project as a whole against other work
On successful completion of this module, the student should be able to:
- Carry out a substantial software or hardware development task, or a substantial piece of research in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence or Software Engineering.
- Work independently and prioritise different components of the work; manage a large project effectively.
- Take decisions and justify them convincingly.
- Orally present work undertaken, and answer questions about it convincingly.
- Write a formal report, detailing work undertaken and conclusions reached.
By arrangement with supervisor. Student work, supporting tutorials.
Sessional: continous assessment (100%), via demonstration/presentation and final report.
Supplementary (where allowed): None; the module may only be repeated.
Programmes containing this module
- BSc Artificial Intelligence & Computer Science 
- BSc Artificial Intelligence & Computer Science with an Industrial Year 
- BSc Artificial Intelligence & Computer Science with Study Abroad [452B]
- BSc Computer Science 
- BSc Computer Science with an Industrial Year 
- BSc Computer Science with Business Management 
- BSc Computer Science with Business Management with an Industrial Year 
- BSc Computer Science with Study Abroad 
- BSc Mathematics and Computer Science 
- BSc Mathematics and Computer Science with an Industrial Year