Module 06-37792 (2022)
Intelligent Interactive Systems (Extended)
|Semester 2||20 credits|
Computer systems are increasingly designed to cooperate with people. For example, semi-autonomous vehicles automate part of the problem of driving but leave overall control with a human driver. Similarly, medical systems make use of vast amounts of data and the latest machine learning but must work with doctors to determine a diagnosis. Similarly, decision supports systems, tutoring systems, dialogue systems, and recommender systems. These Intelligent Interactive Systems, and the theory of human psychology that underpins them are the subject of this module.
This is an area of computer science that is making rapid progress with new theory and methods influencing real-world systems. It is an area that is driven, in part, by the vast amount of data concerning human behaviour that is now routinely collected and the desire to not simply classify it but to understand it. The module will introduce students to this new and exciting topic and to the methods needed to build Intelligent Interactive Systems. There will be a strong focus on algorithms for modelling and understanding people using computers.
On successful completion of this module, the student should be able to:
Demonstrate an understanding of the conceptual structure of a broad range of Intelligent Interactive Systems.
Demonstrate knowledge of how human psychology shapes interactive systems design.
Build software models of Human-Computer cooperation.
Analyse new intelligent interactive design problems and program solutions.
Demonstrate the capacity to independently study, understand, and critically evaluate advanced materials or research articles in the subject areas covered by this module.
- Students will be given a weekly software workbook and canvas quizzes.
- Practical classes/workshops and lectures.
- Main Assessments: Examination (80%) and continuous assessment (20%)
- Supplementary Assessments: Examination (100%)
Programmes containing this module
- MEng Computer Science/Software Engineering 
- MEng Computer Science/Software Engineering with an Industrial Year 
- MSc Advanced Computer Science 
- MSc Human-Computer Interaction 
- MSc Robotics 
- MSci Computer Science 
- MSci Computer Science with an Industrial Year 
- MSci Computer Science with Study Abroad 
- MSci Mathematics and Computer Science 
- MSci Mathematics and Computer Science with an Industrial Year