BSc Computer Science with an Industrial Year - 2012
|Programme Title||Computer Science with an Industrial Year|
|School/Department||School of Computer Science|
|Length of Programme||4 years|
|Awarding Institution||The University of Birmingham|
|Designed for accreditation by||BCS|
|QAA Benchmarking Groups||Computing|
Educational Aims Of Programme
- A curiosity-driven programme offering a choice of options in the second year and an extensive choice of advanced and specialist options in the final year.
- Flexibility to change programmes after the first year, to the MEng in Computer Science / Software Engineering or the BSc Artificial Intelligence/Computer Science.
- The vocational aspect of an honours degree in Computer Science is considerably enhanced when students are able to augment their academic study by working in a commercial environment. The integration of an industrial placement of one year's duration in the programme aims to provide the opportunity for a student to: (1) understand how theoretical and academic work completed within the university environment relates to its practical application in the work place; (2) learn how computing professionals operate within a commercial organisation; (3) improve his or her skills of organisation, time management and record keeping over a significant period of work; (4) undertake technical project work in a commercial environment.
Programme Outcomes and Learning, Teaching and Assessment Strategies
Knowledge and Understanding
- The role of computing professionals within a company and the interactions that normally take place with other disciplines.
- The application of technical knowledge in a commercial context at an appropriate level for the student's qualifications.
- The standard of professional presentation and reporting skills required in industry and commerce.
Skills & Other Attributes
- The ability to work as a computing professional in a commercial environment, demonstrating a professional and responsible attitude.
- The ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.