Do you want to be more active :)? 8 week experiment
At the HCI Centre at the School of Computer Science in Birmingham, we're investigating how to support people to be more physically active using technology
We know it's hard to change your behaviour, so we have devised some straightforward tools that help you form manageable goals that work for you.
We'd be delighted if you'd help us test them.
- Supports you to form an active :) goal
- May provide active :) goal reminders
- Runs for 8 weeks
- Requires minimal interaction
- £10 Amazon voucher for completion
You'll need to run an app on your phone over 8 weeks, but total participation time is only around 30 mins.
What will I have to do?
- Answer a brief online survey and form a goal to help you become more physically active (~15 mins)
- Install an app on your phone
- After 8 weeks, answer a few more questions online (~15 mins).
The research app we ask you to install simply tracks your interactions with the phone (how often you unlock/lock your phone). It DOES NOT track any other personal information such as your location, calls or messages). The app may also prompt you to be more active.
If you complete all the tasks, you will receive a £10 Amazon voucher as a thank you for taking part, alongside our heartfelt appreciation for contributing to our research :).
Who can take part?
We are looking for people who:
- Agree to form and try to keep an active :) goal. We'll give you some simple instructions on how to form good goals :)
- Are 18 years or older
- Own an Android mobile device running Android version 2.3 or greater without a custom lock screen using the default PIN or pattern lock
- Carry the device around at most times on a daily basis
- Have no health issues that might prevent them from being more physically active
- Have not and are not currently running the 1-week active :) experiment
Sounds good! How do I join the experiment?Please:
- Read through the Participant Information Sheet (pdf) and ensure you've enabled your phone to run non-Play store apps: instructions below
- Install the 3rd party Moves app (to enable us to measure your activity levels) and ensure that it works on your phone - unfortunately, some Android devices may not be compatible :(.
- Email us firstname.lastname@example.org confirming you'd like to take part in the 8-week experiment.
- We'll then send you a link to the starting survey. When you've filled in the survey, you'll get a link to download the app.
Please note that you will be free to withdraw from our research at any point, and you can additionally request that any data gathered up to that point is destroyed.
If you have any questions, please do get in touch. Don't worry about your current levels of activity - as long as you don't have any health issues which mean you shouldn't be more active then you are welcome to participate.
We hope to hear from you soon :) email@example.com
Broadly, you will need to do 2 things to run the experiment app:
- Alter your phone settings to allow non-Google play applications to be run on your phone.
- Go to Settings > Security
- Locate and tick "Unknown sources".
- Obviously, you shouldn't install apps from sources that you don't trust.
- Install the app to your phone
- When you've completed the first survey you'll get a download link for the app. You can either download it directly to your phone, or download the .apk file to your computer, then transfer it to your phone.
- Open the .apk file and follow the instructions to install.